Saturday, July 21, 2012

Bergs, Bergs, Bergs

So haven't posted in a while. We visited Wurzber, Bamberg and ended today in Nuremberg. The scenery is beautiful - there are a few pictures to show it. In Bamberg we visited some Cathedral which apparently was originally built with a lead and wood roof. It got hit by lightening and burned down. They built a new Cathedral on top of the old one also with a lead and wood roof. Same thing happened - hit by lightening and burned down. They build a third Cathedral on top of #1 and #2. Given my history with the Catholic Church, I was a little concerned about history repeating itself again. I'm actually surprised at how Catholic the country is - I guess I thought it would be more Protestant given Martin Luther and all.

 They were all very quaint - but honestly I'm over visiting  quaint German towns! I think the most beautiful were the ones on the Moselle River - looking out over the vineyards at sunset while cruising down the river really was quite spectacular.



We did get very decadent and have ice cream for lunch one day - the ice cream is pretty amazing. We've also seen these really cute coffee stiring spoons everywhere. We bought a set and thought they would be quite fun.





Germans also seem to really love their window boxes and they do a great job of them.




The staff on the boat, while small compared to other cruises, has been great. The night before we left, we came back to an Elephant in the room (you know, the one everyone knows is there, but no one wants to talk about!)




We drove this morning to Prague. We're both pretty tired so kind of taking the afternoon to snooze and relax a little before we meet my niece Stephanie for dinner. I will say I'm REALLY impressed with Prague. I really had no idea what to expect. You can still see remnants of Soviet domination - but much like East Germany this city appears to have turned itself around. Very modern and very nice people just from the little bit we've been out. It's also a mix of very old with the very new - we're staying in the Old Town area and will have a walking tour of the area tomorrow. We're also going to see Karlstejn Castle and have sceduled an English speaking tour in the afternoon - so tomorrow will be a busy day. Then we head home the next day.

Honestly, we're ready to be home. Things are very busy at the office and while everyone there has been GREAT and really risen to the occassion, it was just a little too soon after the start of our contract for us to be gone this long. Oh well, with internet everywhere we've been able to keep up and see some new and different places.

No comments:

Post a Comment